Thursday, October 2, 2008

Module 2: Blog Reflections - What a Great Experience!

My URL for my blog site is: http://onlineassessmenttechniques.blogspot.com/
This is still a work in progress – I will be working on page for the rest of the course.
Finding a blog site that I could easily access was a bit difficult at first. I finally was able to get into the edublog and create a page. I’m not sure how good it is but at least it is there! I will continue to work on it and update it. This was a brand new experience for me. I can see how I could use this tool in both my face-to-face classrooms and in my online courses! I am happy that I have been introduced to this new experience!

I spent the part of this morning searching the internet and reading about the use of blogs in the classroom. I found some good sites with good information. I have included the links from two of these sites. One is a short 2 minute video describing blogs and the other site discusses the problems with blogs.
Jeff Utecht, the author of the article “A Problem with Blogs” states that many people do not understand what a blog is for. This was my initial problem. He states that they were originally designed not with writing in mind but for a conversation vehicle. He states that once we understand this then blogs can be used a powerful tools in the classroom and education. He states that:
“Too often, educators use blogs as a replacement for journals, when really what blogs should do is extend conversations from within the classroom to a wider audience. Those conversations should then be brought back into the classroom for further discussion. The word ‘blog’ might be short for Web Log, but the power of blogs is not in the writing, it is in the thoughts, the comments, and the conversation that they can start, sustain, and take into a million different directions.”http://www.techlearning.com/blog/2007/03/a_problem_with_blogs.php
Reading this has helped clear up in my mind the methods in which I will use a blog in both my f2f and online classes.
The following is the url for the short video describing blogs:
http://www.teachertube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=367ab9eed5af82966a48

I really have found this assignment to be a great learning experience and beneficial and applicable to my work!

1 comment:

Paula said...

You make a great point about Blogs not being so much about journaling but for conversing.

I think the design and color of your Blog is easy to read.

I look forward to following your Blog entries.

Paula ~ Eau Claire